From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:27:00
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:12 on Thursday 09 September 2010, Neil
2 Bothwick did opine thusly:
3
4 > > It's 130 different configs on 150 machines serving 30 different
5 > > systems, many of them legacy systems. Management once asked what it
6 > >
7 > > will take to unlegacy all of that. They didn't like my answer:
10 > > Triple the salary budget
11 > > Two years.
12 >
13 > If you really wanted it, you could quote lower and then slightly revise
14 > upwards in light of "unforseen circumstances"... rinse and repeat.
17 I don't want it.
18
19 I like Gentoo in -dev
20 I will not allow Gentoo anywhere near -prod
21
22 This is a very considered decision, as a result of already having to fix (many
23 times) the monumental fuck ups that happen when it is done in an environment
24 such as this.
25
26 Why should I do all the work of pinning packages to known good versions when
27 the RHEL devs have already done all the heavy lifting for me?
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com