From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird pauses making me nuts
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:21:39
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:31:33 +0100
2 Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
5 > What else could I do alongside it, other than running an emerge or
6 > something?
9 You could switch to a non-proprietary gfx driver, and try that, though it
10 might not work with the ATI card you have.
11
12 Try emerging app-benchmarks/stress and running that. That runs everything
13 but X. And it tunable to see what's taking resources.
14
15 The other thing to try is stoppping everything, with X still running and starting
16 up one of the rss-glx screensavers. It it runs with no issue, start a second instance
17 or a second one, then another - as many as the system will handle until it starts
18 showing the problem.
19
20 Have top running in a term to see if you can find out what taking all the resources.
21
22 Last time it happened to me, it was Xorg itself causing the issue.
23
24 Bob
25 -
26 --