From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:23:45
1 On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:31:28 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
5 > <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > [snip]
7 > > 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
8 > > of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
9 > > enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta
10 >
11 > FWIW, the idea behind gudev, polkit and (soon to be deprecated)
12 > consolekit, is that you don't need to "understand" them; they should
13 > "just work". In my experience, that is the case.
14
15 It's my experience that most of the features (or something
16 equivalent) offered by gudev, policykit and consolekit have to be
17 present anyway for things to work at all. Where are these features?
18 They are implemented in many various packages in many different ways
19 (often poorly).
20
21 It's a good idea to rip all of that out of the many places it's hiding
22 and put one implementation in one place where it can be understood.
23 Yes, these packages can be chatty. the lack of chattyness in other
24 packages doesn't mean they don't attempt the same function, it just
25 means they don't announce they do.
26
27 dbus is similar. Whichever way code is written, some kind of IPC is
28 going to be needed. It might as well be on a bus and it might as well be
29 dbus.
30
31 Now, if only way can get around to doing the same for regular
32 expressions. last time I looked I had at least 5 implementations of
33 regex, all different...
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com