From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case fan
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:04:37
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 150917 james wrote:
3 >> Make sure your case has a big and quiet fan to draw air across the HD.
4 > My case -- Deepcool Terraract BF -- has a fan in the wall :
5 > none of my previous cases had one, so I'm not sure how to connect it.
6 > It has a 3-pin plug & the Mobo -- Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P --
7 > has 2 3-pin sockets marked 'power fan' & 'system fan'.
8 > I've tried plugging the case fan into both, but it doesn't run.
9 > The various manuals + I/net sites don't offer any advice.
10 >
11 > Which is the correct socket or should both be ok ?
12 > Does the case fan run only when the inside starts getting too hot ?
13 >
14 > The machine has woken up -- it's like having a baby (grin) --
15 > & BIOS shows everything is running as expected.
16 >
17 > Thanks for the useful help previously : fan advice wb welcome.
21 I have that mobo and I have 4 fan connectors. For mine, I have one for
22 the CPU fan, front, rear and top. My side fan just plugs in and runs.
23 It's those big 200mm thingys. Anyway, you should have 4 connectors on
24 there. If needed, I can take the side off and give you a general
25 location. It should be in the manual to tho.
26
27 By the way, I also let the BIOS handle my fan speeds. It works pretty
28 well. It's quiet but when compiling, it also keeps things cool. My CPU
29 never goes above 110F. Good air flow and a large CPU cooler keeps
30 things cool.
31
32 Dale
33