From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Configuring fbsplash
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:28:54
1 Grimaldy Soto wrote:
4 > Good Day.
5 >
6 > Guys i wanna configure so i can see a beautiful background when my
7 > machine is upload it..
8 >
9 > I'm using the gensplash in 5 easy steps to do this, but there are
10 > something that i wanna know..
11 >
12 > For example i'm using the 2.6.13-r6 Sources Kernel , i remembered that
13 > i active the framebuffer support, so i suppossed that i don't need to
14 > reconfigure and compile the kernel again..
17 It depends. If you just want a nice splash screen while the init
18 scripts are running, you should not need to recompile, as long as you
19 have framebuffer console support enabled. In this case, you can add
20 "quiet" to your kernel command line options to supress the kernel
21 messages, so you have a couple of seconds to look at "Starting Linux"
22 before the splash screen appears. Note that you do _not_ need an
23 initramfs for this work, just a usable framebuffer device, resolution,
24 and bit-depth. The "rc-update -a splash boot" step should give you a
25 splash screen at this point. FYI, I have found that 32-bit depths work
26 best.
27
28 If you want the splash to appear as early as possible (while the kernel
29 is initializing), you first need to determine which "sources" you are
30 running. Vanilla-sources does not contain the fbsplash support that is
31 required, so you may need to reconfigure/rebuild with gentoo-sources or
32 suspend2-sources. This is also the case where you need the initramfs.
33
34 The important kernel options are:
35
36 CONFIG_FB=y
37 CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
38 CONFIG_FB_VESA_TNG=y (if you want vesafb-tng, which I highly recommend)
39 CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
40 CONFIG_FB_SPLASH=y
41
42 Someone else will have to help with the initramfs errors. I had to
43 build my initramfs manually for reasons not related to fbsplash.
44
45 HTH,
46 -Richard
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list