From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packet Shaping
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:43:04
1 > > Hello, I have packet shaping set up on my Gentoo router with iptables,
2 > > shorewall, and "The Wonder Shaper" which is a /etc/shorewall/tcstart
3 > > file. It seems to be working since internet radio is now full of
4 > > hiccups. :)
5 >
6 > I never quite understood ingress shaping. Dropping packets always
7 > sounded wrong to me...
8 >
9 > > Is anyone else using The Wonder Shaper? Would anyone recommend I
10 > > ditch it and write a tcstart file from scratch?
11 >
12 > No, just edit it (more than those variables on the top). wshaper is
13 > really not that big, well structured and at least somewhat documented.
14 > It makes a good template.
15
16 After a lot of testing, these numbers seem to give me the best
17 performance as far as bittorrent download speed. How can that be? Is
18 DOWNLINK my upload and UPLINK my download?
19
20 DOWNLINK=425
21 UPLINK=3450
22 DEV=ath0
23
24 I tried to define the bittorrent ports as a low priority like this:
25
26 NOPRIOPORTSRC=6881:6999
27 NOPRIOPORTDST=6881:6999
28
29 but I get this when restarting shorewall:
30
31 Illegal "match"
32
33 Are you using port ranges in those variable?
34
35 - Grant
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list