From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT Good DNS registrar?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:31:09
1 Daniel Iliev <danny <at> ilievnet.com> writes:
4 > James wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I'm looking for a good DNS registrar, where I provide my own primary
8 > > and secondary service.
9
10 > > http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html
11
12 > Well, I would not propose registrar(s) because it may sound as an
13 > advertisement. I've never heard about a free registrar. AFAIK all of
14 > them are commercial.
15
16 It's pretty much the way it is, so discussing choices for registrar,
17 so that one can provide their own complete delegations of authority
18 under a domain name, is worth paying for. I do not think discussing
19 this on a list such as this is a bad idea. After all my primary name
20 server will be a stripped down gentoo server, running iptables,
21 either hardened or selinux with either Bind or DJBDNS. The fact that
22 a few dollars has to change hands does not make the topic, evil,
23 or undesirable, does it?
26 > However if we talk about a free service provider I
27 > hope it won't be a problem, so I would propose you to try the DNS
28 > service provided by http://www.everydns.net/ . It is free and if you
29 > don't like it you could just replace it with another one which would
30 > serve you better.
31
32 This is an interesting option, but, one where I do not control
33 100% of the DNS config files, is not going to work for my needs.
34 Still, what you metion is of curiosity.
35
36 > If you also need reverse resolving then you have to ask your ISP to put
37 > your domain name in their DNS.
38
39 That's not likely to be an option with most of the ISPs I've ever
40 used. They what to controls the dns config files and point to
41 an ip address with services as they see fit. Disfunctional, at best.
42
43 > I have no connection nor relation with "EveryDNS.net" other than I'm
44 > using their free DNS service and I'm pleased with it.
45
46 Your connection, or lack thereof to the entity is of minute concern to me.
47 I'd be very happy if a network admin at a registrar was on this list
48 can could articulate why their dns services are robust, particularly
49 using gentoo based machines.
50
51 thanks for the link,
52