From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:18:24
1 Am Mittwoch, 22. August 2012, 14:46:40 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi,
3 > Yesterday I got a new, but rather low-end, PCIe-2 SATA-3 6Gb/S
4 > adapter card and a reportedly high performance 128GB SSD drive. (Links
5 > below) Other than my swap getting messed up because it didn't use
6 > labels (who knew about swaplabel but didn't tell me? ;-) ) the
7 > adapter and drive are in the machine and working fine. Unfortunately
8 > the performance isn't what I might have hoped for. Both hdparm &
9 > bonnie++ are reporting numbers in the 200MB/S range rather then the
10 > 400-500MB/S range that I might have hoped for. The machine is PCIx-2
11 > based according to its specs.
12
13 certainly not. PCIX is something you don't have. PCIe2 - yes
14 >
15 > I'm currently just using a single large partition & ext3. I didn't
16 > do anything special in fdisk so the partition might not be aligned as
17 > best it could be. I don't know.
18
19 that alone can more than half your performance.
20 Btw, why ext3? 4 and trim is your friend with a ssd.
21
22 Your performance is fine. It is a single slot adapter, so the theoretical max
23 is 300mb/s. Now substract some for overhead and some for misalignment and
24 200mb/s aren't bad at all.
27 #163933