From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:06:06
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 > > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On Thursday 11 February 2010 13:50:54 Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > >>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:31:26AM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
6 > >>>
7 > >>>> On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
8 > >>>>> IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another
9 > >>>>> desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>> yeah good luck with that. Because gnome is moving in that direction
12 > >>>> too.
13 > >>>>
14 > >>> There are other desktops besides GNOME and KDE. Actually I prefer
15 > >>> the
16 > >>>
17 > >>> ICEWM window manager. I was running a 1999 Dell 450mhz PIII with 128
18 > >>> megs of *SYSTEM* ram until the summer of 2007. Let's just say that
19 > >>> GNOME and KDE were out of the question for me. On my current desktop,
20 > >>> ICEWM flies. But I also have a netbook, and again GNOME and KDE are
21 > >>> not usable.
22 > >>>
23 > >>>> Seriously guys, you start sounding like luddites. Is new, must be bad.
24 > >>>>
25 > >>> Correction, is fat, bloated, and slow, must be bad. I wonder if
26 > >>>
27 > >>> Microsoft's anti-linux strategy is to have its agents infiltrate the
28 > >>> linux developer community, and turn linux into bloatware.
29 > >>
30 > >> You have been corrected on this point so many times I now think you are
31 > >> just a stupid ass.
32 > >>
33 > >> It is not slow.
34 > >>
35 > >> You are the only one saying that. People who do use Nepomuk say that it
36 > >> is not slow and does not hog resources (initial scan excepted).
37 > >
38 > > you can even tell nepomuk how much memory it is allowed to use ...
39 >
40 > Can you nice the thing too? That would work. I set emerge to 5 and I
41 > can't even tell that emerge is running most of the time. There may be
42 > times when I can but it is rare.
43 >
44 > I just don't get this thing that indexing is a resource hog. I notice
45 > updatedb running at night. I have 329Gbs of "data" and updatedb only
46 > takes a few minutes. How is that a resource "hog"? My machine is not
47 > as old as some but it is slow going by the new machines that are out
48 > now. It's a AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram. I have had Linux on machines
49 > as slow as 133MHz but never felt the need to disable indexing.
52 when updatedb runs your cache is shot afterwards. That is a known problems.
53
54 Nepomuk is only noticable once: the first indexing run. After that it creates
55 zero load.