From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:11:39
1 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Along comes the DVD+R format. The DVD+R format has some variances in
4 > *how* data is represented on disc, but to the player that doesn't know
5 > any better, it looks just like any other DVD. The big difference DVD+R
6 > brought was that the 'book type' field was burnable on any drive which
7 > was capable of burning DVD+R media, and a disc appropriately burned
8 > would play in any home DVD player as though it were a pressed disc.
9 > (Yay, we can has home-recorded movies again!)
10 >
11 > Both DVD+R and DVD-R discs are sold, but I only ever buy DVD+R discs;
12 > as far as I can tell, playback works in everything, and just about any
13 > recorder will record to them. I have to think that the DVD-R discs are
14 > sold only because there are still some ancient burners out there.
15
16 Not true: DVD- allows to write this too, but the media you can buy has been
17 prerecorded to satisfy the film industry.
21 > When in doubt, go with DVD+R.
22
23 This is a wrong advise: When In doubt go DVD- as this is the official format.
24 There is one single exception: For Dual layer, the DVD+R/DL media gives better
25 results.
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
30 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)