From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:34:55
1 On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Along comes the DVD+R format. The DVD+R format has some variances in
6 >> *how* data is represented on disc, but to the player that doesn't know
7 >> any better, it looks just like any other DVD. The big difference DVD+R
8 >> brought was that the 'book type' field was burnable on any drive which
9 >> was capable of burning DVD+R media, and a disc appropriately burned
10 >> would play in any home DVD player as though it were a pressed disc.
11 >> (Yay, we can has home-recorded movies again!)
12 >>
13 >> Both DVD+R and DVD-R discs are sold, but I only ever buy DVD+R discs;
14 >> as far as I can tell, playback works in everything, and just about any
15 >> recorder will record to them. I have to think that the DVD-R discs are
16 >> sold only because there are still some ancient burners out there.
17 >
18 > Not true: DVD- allows to write this too, but the media you can buy has been
19 > prerecorded to satisfy the film industry.
20
21 I alluded to this in my description of DVD-R. Thank you for correcting
22 my description of implementation details, though. (Obviously, you
23 don't need a special burner, but you do need to buy specially-licensed
24 media.)
25
26 >> When in doubt, go with DVD+R.
27 >
28 > This is a wrong advise: When In doubt go DVD- as this is the official format.
29
30 I don't understand this position at all for this context. Unless
31 you're doing work in particular fields for the recording industry, why
32 touch DVD-R at all? Doing so because "it's the official format"
33 doesn't really mean anything; the industry and market has been stable
34 for years, and upstream isn't going to switch out everything out from
35 under people using the format. (At least, not in a way that doesn't
36 screw over DVD-R users as well.)
37
38 I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in that perhaps DVD-R might be
39 the more appropriate format, but you should give some better arguments
40 than "it's the official format".
41
42 > There is one single exception: For Dual layer, the DVD+R/DL media gives better
43 > results.
46 :wq