From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:59:01
1 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I alluded to this in my description of DVD-R. Thank you for correcting
4 > my description of implementation details, though. (Obviously, you
5 > don't need a special burner, but you do need to buy specially-licensed
6 > media.)
7
8 Well, if you manage to get unwritten DVD- media, you need a drive with special
9 firmware and you even can pretend a different manufacturer ;-)
10
11 It is however hard to get this special firmware...
14 > >> When in doubt, go with DVD+R.
15 > >
16 > > This is a wrong advise: When In doubt go DVD- as this is the official format.
17 >
18 > I don't understand this position at all for this context. Unless
19 > you're doing work in particular fields for the recording industry, why
20 > touch DVD-R at all? Doing so because "it's the official format"
21 > doesn't really mean anything; the industry and market has been stable
22 > for years, and upstream isn't going to switch out everything out from
23 > under people using the format. (At least, not in a way that doesn't
24 > screw over DVD-R users as well.)
25
26 You seem to be anti-DVD- because you uncorrectly believe that it is related to
27 the film industry. You are wrong. Pioneer asked the fil industry to make a
28 useful proposal before Summer 2001 and as this proposal was not made, Pioneer
29 started to sell the A03 for 1000 US $ - together with the prerecorded media
30 format.
31
32 > I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in that perhaps DVD-R might be
33 > the more appropriate format, but you should give some better arguments
34 > than "it's the official format".
35
36 I did give these arguments: There are variouy problems media compatibility of
37 you use DVD+ with different drives.
38
39 NOTE: DVD+ does not have a round robin check!!!!!!
40
41 Jörg
44 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
45 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)