From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:23:57
1 On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I alluded to this in my description of DVD-R. Thank you for correcting
6 >> my description of implementation details, though. (Obviously, you
7 >> don't need a special burner, but you do need to buy specially-licensed
8 >> media.)
9 >
10 > Well, if you manage to get unwritten DVD- media, you need a drive with special
11 > firmware and you even can pretend a different manufacturer ;-)
12 >
13 > It is however hard to get this special firmware...
16 >> >> When in doubt, go with DVD+R.
17 >> >
18 >> > This is a wrong advise: When In doubt go DVD- as this is the official format.
19 >>
20 >> I don't understand this position at all for this context. Unless
21 >> you're doing work in particular fields for the recording industry, why
22 >> touch DVD-R at all? Doing so because "it's the official format"
23 >> doesn't really mean anything; the industry and market has been stable
24 >> for years, and upstream isn't going to switch out everything out from
25 >> under people using the format. (At least, not in a way that doesn't
26 >> screw over DVD-R users as well.)
27 >
28 > You seem to be anti-DVD- because you uncorrectly believe that it is related to
29 > the film industry. You are wrong. Pioneer asked the fil industry to make a
30 > useful proposal before Summer 2001 and as this proposal was not made, Pioneer
31 > started to sell the A03 for 1000 US $ - together with the prerecorded media
32 > format.
33
34 No, I'm not anti-DVD-, or even anti-film-industry.
35
36 I recommend DVD+ over DVD- for the uninitiated, for compatibility and
37 flexibility reasons.
40 >> I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in that perhaps DVD-R might be
41 >> the more appropriate format, but you should give some better arguments
42 >> than "it's the official format".
43 >
44 > I did give these arguments: There are variouy problems media compatibility of
45 > you use DVD+ with different drives.
46
47 Your description runs counter to my experience. But that's not
48 terribly surprising; there will of course be players which won't
49 handle DVD+ media, but I've found them to be few and far between.
52 > NOTE: DVD+ does not have a round robin check!!!!!!
53
54 I don't know what that is, and searching isn't turning up anything but
55 pages about a movie called 'round robin'.
58 :wq