From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail editor freezes
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:06:13
1 On Sunday 10 October 2010 08:06:08 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:42 on Saturday 09 October 2010, Daniel D
3 >
4 > Jones did opine thusly:
5 > > On Saturday, October 09, 2010 14:38:16 Yohan Pereira wrote:
6 > > > thats odd im typing this from kmail.
7 > > >
8 > > > whavt version?
9 > >
10 > > 1.13.5
11 > >
12 > > I've been using Kmail for years and I don't believe there was an upgrade
13 > > just before this started happening. I suspect that it's something
14 > > outside Kmail itself, some service it's trying to access, but I don't
15 > > know what it would be.
16 > >
17 > > Another clue is that it does a very similar thing when I press the Send
18 > > button. It freezes for about ten to fifteen seconds before sending.
19 >
20 > I agree it's likely caused by some network resource, I get similar things
21 > happening to me (to use imap on exchange and it's addressbook from home I
22 > have to run ssh tunnels through to the exchange machines. It's *easy* to
23 > forget to run the script that sets them up)
24 >
25 > Look for things like imap stores not available and the hard one to track
26 > down is accessing addressbooks using LDAP. The passwords are not stored in
27 > kwallet! Check your various KResources configs and grep for likely
28 > passwords in ~/.kde4/share/config
29
30 No answers to your questions, but I can confirm that I occasionally get the
31 same symptoms, i.e. during composing a new message or some times when I click
32 on a new message to read it. It takes up to 10-15 seconds before it becomes
33 responsive again. If I close the message composing window while waiting for
34 the darn thing to unfreeze, the whole application crashes after the waiting is
35 over. Starting it up does not restore the composer and any text I had written
36 is lost.
37
38 Unlike you I do not use mysql, but sqlite. So I think that this problem is
39 not related to the database.
40
41 Things that might cause it, although I cannot confirm any of these as
42 definite, are kmail trying to connect to a mail server which for network or
43 other reasons is unresponsive; trying to refresh CRL or gpg from pgp or smime
44 key servers; compressing some of its own maildir folders.
45
46 I'm currently running stable:
47
48 $ kmail -v
49 Qt: 4.6.2
50 KDE Development Platform: 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)
51 KMail: 1.13.5
52 --
53 Regards,
54 Mick