From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] The end of "Herds"
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 20:14:24
1 Hello,
4 If you follog gentoo-dev you can see Rich's summary
5 interpretation (which I do agree with) posted at the
6 bottom of this thread.
9 Recently I was asked to help clean up some of the Java
10 bugs. OK, as a non-maintainer I agreed. I went through
11 over 100 java bugs, mostly pre 2010, as to make a dent
12 in the backlog of ~500 java bugs that would probably
13 be the easiest to clean up. Sure enough, there were
14 only a few that were still relevant (Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
17 So I proposed, to one of the Java Herd members we blast out
18 a few emails notifying everyone that if folks did not
19 "reaffrim" these (very old) java bugs, they would be mass-closed.
20 If you look at those (old bugs) most would agree with my
21 assessment. However, I listed a few as blatant examples
22 that needed to be closed. It seems there is no "closer" for
23 java bugs. Nobody around with the authority (will?) to close
24 any old Java bugs. The herd is descimated, on furlog or just
25 burnt out and non-responsive. So all of my work and
26 effort was for nothing. Over the years, I have made
27 at least 3 attemps to use java on gentoo; all resulted in
28 using other linix distros. For me, java is a reality
29 that cannot be wished away. What I have learn in the last few
30 months is that Java on Gentoo is alive and properous; folks with
31 Java ebuilds just do not bother with getting them into Gentoo
32 because of the morass of apathy the gentoo java hers has become.
33
34 So now is the time for folks to read and post to gentoo-dev on
35 thread: :" Deprecating and killing the concept of herds" if
36 you have any issues with herds being removed from Gentoo.
37 Ideas on how to best organize bug_cleaning is also welcome.
38 I think there will be an uptake in proxy-maintainers, if the
39 gentoo-dev club is sincere about treating these proxy maintainers
40 with respect and mutual professionalism.
41
42 I think the concept of "Projects" will persist, but herds have
43 to become active and request to become "Projects" as defined
44 on the gentoo wiki or they will be erased. Like many others,
45 I have been burned in the past with trying to get directly involved
46 with Gentoo (been here since 2004). That's all water under the bridge.
47 So I am "tip_toeing" behind the scenes willing to be a grunt
48 and clean up some of the java mess, participate in clustering and
49 contribute to the science project. We'll see just how long it lasts
50 before I get "bitch_slapped" like my previous attempts........
53 That's why I named by current /usr/local/portage "jackslap".
54 We shall see what happens.
57 I see the enabling of user patches directly into ebuilds in the tree
58 (EAPI 6) and the cleansing of the irresponsible amongst the herds
59 with exclusive control over bugs as a very positive sign that the gentoo
60 dev community is one again dedicated to making Gentoo an excellent platform.
61 Whatever your experiences have been, I hope you read, post
62 and give direct participation in Gentoo your deepest consideration.
65 James
68 <snip>
69 My (rich) proposal:
70
71 For the steady state:
72
73 1. For the maintainer tag in metadata, have a type attribute that can
74 be developer, project, or proxy.
75
76 2. Add a contacts tag in metadata that takes an email.
77
78 3. Package without maintainers (individuals or projects - regardless
79 of presence of aliases) get assigned to maintainer-needed and get
80 treecleaned as usual.
81
82 I'm also fine with normalizing this and just switching to a contact
83 tag that can have a type of developer, project, proxy, or contact.
84 That is a bigger change. However, it would probably simplify
85 scripting and be a bit cleaner for the long-term.
88 For the transition to the steady state:
89
90 a. We generate a list of all current herds and email their aliases to
91 see if they want to be converted to a non-maintainer alias, or be
92 disbanded entirely. One reply to the email is enough to keep the
93 alias around, no replies means retirement.
94
95 b. Anybody in Gentoo can start a project already by following GLEP 39.
96 It is encouraged for these projects to take over existing aliases
97 where they feel it is appropriate. There is no need for all aliases
98 to have a project - just ones that want some kind of structure (ie
99 this is strictly voluntary). When this is done the project will
100 remove the herd from metadata and add the project alias as a
101 maintainer with the agreed-upon tagging.
102
103 c. We generate a list of all current packages that do not have a
104 maintainer (either one or more individuals or projects (NOT herds)).
105 That gets posted so that individuals can claim them. I suggest not
106 doing the usual treecleaning email since there could be a LOT of them.
107 Or we could do it herd-by-herd over time to ease the load.
108
109 d. We remove all herds from the existing packages. Where aliases were
110 kept in (a) above they are converted to aliases with appropriate
111 tagging. If no maintainer exists the package is handled per the
112 result of (c).
115 Comments, alternatives, etc?