From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update Gentoo recently is becoming difficult
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 02:22:02
1 On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:02 PM Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > now suffering with python 3.6/3.8 dependency mess.
6 On anything but a simple system it seems very difficult to deal with
7 the python update without overriding the python flags on at least some
8 packages.
9
10 I recommend maintaining these in a separate config file to make it
11 easier to clean these changes up eventually.
12
13 Following the news item and enabling 3.6 and 3.7 in the interim is
14 probably your best course of action to minimize the amount of
15 micromangement.
16
17 You shouldn't see much asking for 3.8 just yet, at least not when
18 using stable keywords. If you're using testing keywords, well, thanks
19 for testing, and you can see why they call it that.
20
21 In a few weeks I think it will settle down, and it isn't quite as bad
22 if you're updating daily/weekly since the number of changes is more
23 moderate.
24
25 Much of the problem stems from the fact that we're trying to rapidly
26 get up to date on python. That means that various packages are in
27 various states of support for various versions of python. Also,
28 default settings for building python were changed before all the
29 packages supporting them were stabilized. I can't really speak for
30 those doing that but I suspect it is in part to avoid having to wait
31 for bugs for all the impacted packages to get resolved, or to obtain
32 permission to force them to be removed.
35 Rich