From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:50:23
1 On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 04:34:35 -0600, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > > How is putting systemd setting in a profile that a user has to
4 > > consciously choose to use forcing anything on anyone? Profiles are
5 > > the essence of choice but it appears you only want the choices you
6 > > approve of to be available.
7
8 > Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. Logically, a "non systemd"
9 > profile would necessitate either a systemd profile, or require the
10 > default to already ship systemd. I hadn't considered the prior
11 > existence of systemd profiles, which we currently have, so afaict the
12 > issue is mostly moot.
13
14 We already have non-systemd profiles. Until recently that is all we had.
15
16 > Choices are great until the existence of other choices infringes on
17 > mine. Profiles prevent that, so I have no problem with systemd
18 > profiles. The problem lies with evangelists who aren't happy with
19 > systemd being *a* choice. They want systemd to be *the* choice, *the*
20 > default. That is what I take issue with.
21
22 Why are you so concerned about the default, not that anyone in this
23 thread has suggested making systemd the default, not even Canek? If you
24 cannot use eselect profile set, Gentoo is not for you anyway? The
25 handbook tells you to select a profile quite early in the installation,
26 there is no default - portage complain loudly if you haven't chosen a
27 profile, so I fail to see how anyone can force systemd (or openrc for
28 that matter) on users when the choice must be made.
29
30 There are technical arguments for and against systemd, which is why this
31 thread was started, rhetoric about forcing default profiles on people
32 when there is no such thing as a default profile only serve to cloud the
33 real issues.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 System halted - hit any Microsoft employee to continue.