From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + Macbook
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:41:23
1 I think that that last post might be a little misleading for a new
2 user, I'd just like to clarify it a little bit.
3
4 On 18 January 2012 15:23, Fernando Freire <freire14@××.edu> wrote:
5 > I've installed other distributions of Linux before on a MacbookPro and
6 > have found that installing GRUB to the boot record of sda is a Bad
7 > Idea.
8
9 I can't comment on this part ...
10
11 > Instead, try installing GRUB to the partition that Gentoo is
12 > currently on (or wherever your /boot partition is mounted) such as
13 > (hd0,3).
14
15 Installing grub (emerge grub), and installing it to the Boot Record
16 (MBR) of a drive are very different things.
17
18 Do you mean;
19 grub > root (hd0,0)
20 and NOT
21 grub > setup(hd0) ?
22
23 This would require the Apple bootloader to allow chainloading into a
24 partition (and I have no clue if / how that is supported).
25
26 > Also, make sure that GRUB is compiled with support for the
27 > filesystem that you desire to use; I know for a fact that you have to
28 > have a particularly new version of GRUB to support EXT4
29 > filesystems.
30
31 grub is has supported ext4 since 2009 - it's kernel filesystem support
32 that's most people mess up.
33 Most gentoo users will still be using grub-0.99, which is years old.
34 -r10 went stable on amd64 in 2010-07.