From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 03:29:16
1 James composed on 2015-08-04 21:07 (UTC):
2
3 > Interesting choice:: how do you like your choices, Felix?
4
5 Choices are a double edged sword. The more you have, the more power you have,
6 but the harder to choose, especially while overwhelmed by the unfamiliar.
7 Your later provided ungrading old installation links are intriguing, but
8 nevertheless I'm leaning heavily toward starting fresh.
9
10 Whether that or upgrade, questions asked and remaining unanswered are leaving
11 me unable to pick a target, whether latest "release", or unknown where best
12 to go without being encumbered by the systemd adolescent, if there's any
13 practical point in so doing.
14
15 Also there's an as yet unasked question I want to get a handle on before
16 doing anything else. What I have now has no /dev/fb*, so I'm stuck in 80x25
17 mode unable to use vga= and apparently with a non-modesetting kernel. I
18 wouldn't want a new "installation" also so hamstrung right off the bat
19 without first knowing what to do about it.
20
21 > To the wider list of gentoo hacks::
22
23 > Still think we do not need an easier installation semantic? If he decides to
24 > 'upgrade' there will be tons of man-hours spent on this effort. If we had a
25 > mostly unattended basic installation semantic (proceedure/install) I bet he
26 > (Felix) would choose that pathway. Felix, care to comment?
27
28 Again it's a question of ability to and interest in dealing with choices.
29 Among conventional distro installers, only openSUSE's YaST2 power pleases me.
30 I would say the traditional text-only Debian installer (shared by *buntu) was
31 worst, if only Anaconda wasn't so horribly horribly unintuitive. Mageia's
32 isn't too bad if one doesn't mind needing to install minimal and then
33 pick&choose from urpmi cmdline after setting no-recommends in order to avoid
34 bloat.
35
36 The Gentoo instructions look competent enough to do well for most of the
37 people it's designed for, if only they aren't trying to do as currently I,
38 avoid systemd.
39
40 I really should have followed up on my installation 50 months ago at *least*
41 3 years ago. I have no recollection what stopped me, unless it was a naive
42 choice to put it on one of my oldest slowest machines with nv11 instead of
43 newer Intel or ATI and bunches more CPU power. It could also at least in part
44 be a result of space required exceeding what I'm used to. Most of my test
45 installations are in 4.8G / partitions that wind up 80% full or less. This
46 original is on 4.8G, has only 26% free, apparently has no Xorg or KDE, and no
47 qlist to figure what *is* installed.
48
49 > If we (gentoo) had a simple installation semantic, this sort of problem
50 > would most likely disappear; so the wider community could delve into other
51 > technical support issues...... YMMV.
52
53 I get the feeling Gentoo isn't a right choice for people who need a "simple
54 installation semantic".
55 --
56 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
57 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
58
59 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
60
61 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/