From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: unabridged english dictionary?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 17:49:50
1 Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
5 > On Mon, 8 June 2015, at 2:25 pm, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
6 > > ...
7 > > So I just ran across this word "emeried" and I can only find emory.
8 > > I think "emeried" is obscure in both meaning and usage.
9 >
10 > My 1970's copy of the 24-volume Oxford English Dictionary says that emery
11 as a verb is to rub with emery (e.g.
12 > emery paper, I guess).
13 >
14 > So I guess an example sentence would be "before the panel can be
15 repainted, it must be emeried until all
16 > traces of the paint have been removed."
17 >
18 > I agree this is obscure - I had to look it up, and my Mac's Dictionary.app
19 doesn't contain it, either.
20
21 YES. Emery is common. Emeried, is obsure; it may have several meanings in
22 context, like, YOU need POLISHING, you know one of those 'hi_brow' old
23 english tongue-lashings from an english intellectual (like a snob).
24 The word 'emeried' came across to me; and I hate when I cannot find the
25 exact context meaning of a word (it's a personal quark for a guy that
26 often does not check his own spelling.
32 > Are you trying to fix the dictionary? I have often felt Unix
33 /usr/share/dict contains many words so obscure
34 > (or obsolete) as to be useless, but it seems to me this not only needs to
35 be addressed upstream, but it's also
36 > pretty much a fulltime job for someone.
39 A while back "Q" enquired if anyone would appreciate his efforts to bring
40 us a more robust "english dictionary". So, this is a follow up on that,
41 but I could not find the thread (lazy_parser_is_broken_in_my_brain)....
45 > Stroller.
48 James