From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound when playing flash
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:02:43
1 On 14:42 Tue 28 Feb , Zac Slade wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 February 2006 10:19, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 > > I once had the same problem, solved it using ESD (well, not the best
4 > > solution, but it works), so, at my startup script I have "esd &" and
5 > > flash anims have sound...
6 > It's not only the best solution it is the only solution. Flash uses esd for
7 > sound. You can start it everytime you start your web browser or you can add
8 > esound to your default run level.
11 eh? I have sound with flash and I don't have esd installed.
12
13 I don't have proper hardware mixing though, so when I want to hear
14 sound with flash I usually have to restart firefox or it doesn't work.
15
16 Presumably this is fixable, and is due to flash using oss rather than
17 alsa, but I haven't really tried.
18
19 On a computer with a soundcard that does do hardware mixing (and without
20 esd installed) I could get sound with flash whilst other things were
21 playing sound though.
22
23 Dave
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list