From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound when playing flash
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:28:02
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 14:56, David Morgan wrote:
2 > eh? I have sound with flash and I don't have esd installed.
3 Didn't use to be the case, went googling and found that it no longer requires
4 esd it just uses OSS.
5
6 > I don't have proper hardware mixing though, so when I want to hear
7 > sound with flash I usually have to restart firefox or it doesn't work.
8 Or as I found there are alternatives here, try launching firefox with artsdsp
9 firefox, or alternatively aoss firefox. This will play all sound through a
10 muxer and will allow it to play nice even on machines without hardware
11 mixing.
12
13 So to recap, you don't need esd anymore, just working OSS (ALSA provides OSS
14 compatibility). If you are having trouble with it playing while other things
15 are playing sound try using aoss or artsdsp to mux the sounds for you (or esd
16 if you like).
17 --
18 Zac Slade
19 krakrjak@××××××××××.net