From: Stefan Istvan <stefi@××××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound when playing flash
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:17:57
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:22 -0600, Zac Slade wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 February 2006 14:56, David Morgan wrote:
3 > > eh? I have sound with flash and I don't have esd installed.
4 > Didn't use to be the case, went googling and found that it no longer requires
5 > esd it just uses OSS.
6 >
7 > > I don't have proper hardware mixing though, so when I want to hear
8 > > sound with flash I usually have to restart firefox or it doesn't work.
9 > Or as I found there are alternatives here, try launching firefox with artsdsp
10 > firefox, or alternatively aoss firefox. This will play all sound through a
11 > muxer and will allow it to play nice even on machines without hardware
12 > mixing.
13 >
14 > So to recap, you don't need esd anymore, just working OSS (ALSA provides OSS
15 > compatibility). If you are having trouble with it playing while other things
16 > are playing sound try using aoss or artsdsp to mux the sounds for you (or esd
17 > if you like).
18
19 I tried lunching firefox both with artsdsp and aoss, but when I load the
20 flash page, first it produces sound, then firefox is freezes. I tested
21 with http://www.kubrick2001.com site.
22 If I start konqueror with artsdsp or aoss, it plays flash anim, but
23 still with no sound.
26 Istvan
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list