From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:21:16
1 Volker Armin Hemmann ha scritto:
2
3 >> But projects like Haiku and ReactOS created also most of userland from
4 >> scratch, not only the kernels.
5 >
6 > reactos tries to copy windows - so it will be using the windows userland.
7 > haiku tries to be beos - it is will be able to run beos apps. Also some posix-
8 > apps run on it.
9
10 In the meaning of windows and beos applications, yes.
11 However it is not like ReactOS uses the windows graphic shell. It has
12 its own windows-like graphic shell.
13
14 When I talk about "userland", here, I mean more the core stuff, like
15 coreutils, graphics and the like.
16
17 >> They had the advantage of taking
18 >> inspiration from existing OSes but they actually did the implementation.
19 >> Also, SkyOS or Syllable did it, AFAIK.
20 >
21 > and how many apps run on skyos or syllabe?
22
23 Few, indeed, but that's irrelevant in this context. They exist.
24
25 >> So I can rephrase my question as those two:
26 >> Why didn't those projects use the Linux kernel?
27 >
28 > because they wanted to do something different.
29
30 Yes, very probably. However it's a kind of decision I don't really
31 understand... using a Linux or BSD as the underlying kernel would give
32 you immediately tons of drivers and stuff, even if you want to rewrite
33 most of other utilities from scratch.
34 Probably I don't get it because I'm not an OS programmer geek. :)
35
36 m.