From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SVGA mode & the console
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 12:30:23
1 On Sunday 02 January 2011 11:28:09 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
5 > and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
6 >
7 > Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
8 > card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
9 >
10 > So far so nice...
11 >
12 > The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
13 >
14 > When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
15 > linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
16 >
17 > When I use the same option with my kernel (2.6.36.2 vanilla) it
18 > ends in a console font/resolution which reminds me at the good
19 > old times when 8bit homecomputers were the dream of many people
20 > and PACMAN was top! ;)
21 >
22 > I tried "vga=asK" and then "scan" but the highest resolution I was
23 > offered were 80x60 and only VGA-modes, which again looks like the
24 > "high resolution textmode" of my old ATARI 800...and not like that
25 > nice looking console which I get with the same hardware and the GRML
26 > distro.
27 >
28 > I compared both the kernel config of the GRML distro and my
29 > own but I didn't found nay suspicious (or overlooked something?).
32 > Final question after all there words: How can I get such a high
33 > resolution with this hardware and the nvidia-drivers???
34
35 I think that the "nice high resolution" you see with GRML is presented by the
36 framebuffer. You only get this once the kernel starts to load. Until then
37 you get a very basic VGA screen, which the GRML may not show at all (in other
38 words the first visual impression of a LiveCD may be the framebuffer console).
39
40 With the latest versions CDs which use KMS (e.g. SystemrescueCD) the two
41 stages VGA-->framebuffer are visible if I recall correctly.
42
43 With regards to your own kernel, are you using KMS? If so, once the kernel
44 starts loading the KMS will dictate what resolution you get. If this is too
45 small to read (I think it will render the highest resolution possible) or you
46 want to set some custom resolution for whatever reason, then add nomodeset to
47 the kernel line in your grub.conf and also restore the vga=XXX line you had
48 there previously.
49
50 HTH.
51 --