From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:51:09
1 On Feb 18, 2012 8:21 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >
5 > > Indeed. In fact, easier than that.
6 > >
7 > > Just inject false BGP routes into one of the backbone level routers, and
8 > > see how wide the Internet becomes 'impacted'. Do it to maybe 5 or 6
9 > > other routers that watch guard over the transatlantic and transpacific
10 > > routes, and watch as the Internet fold upon itself.
11 > >
12 > > I was once a certified Network Engineer before I became a System Admin,
13 > > so I know. The soft underbelly of the Intartubes is depressingly very
14 > > vulnerable.
15 > >
16 > > Rgds,
20 > Sounds like the internet could be switched off. So, next question, how
21 > easy would it be to get it going again? Hours? Days? Weeks?
24 1 router? In THEORY, 24 hours (but see below).
25
26 5 routers? Not sure. The unoptimized route due to the loss of optimal
27 routing info will severely impact everything. Maybe two or three weeks.
28 Maybe more than one month.
29
30 Heck, when a major Internet hub (i.e., one of the backbone routers) in
31 Taiwan got hit by an earthquake, it took almost one month after the router
32 got recommissioned before things return to normal.
33
34 Rgds,