From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:03:56
1 On 22/09/2015 17:55, James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>> I usually remember --oneshot but if I'm tired or distracted I
6 >>> forget it.
9 >> To avoid this, I added it to my make.conf. When I *really* want to have
10 >> something in the world file, I can either add it myself or use --select
11 >> on the command line to add it. Result, shouldn't be anything in the
12 >> world file that shouldn't be there.
13 >
14 > OK, I'll try this.
15 > I'll add --oneshot to the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= in make.conf.
16 >
17 > Works great.
18 >
19 >> I sometimes wonder why that isn't the default way. I guess because it
20 >> would confuse folks for a bit and because it has always been that way.
21 >
22 > One thing I see, is now you have a system that is full of pkg that do
23 > not update normally. I guess I'm say if you install pakages with --oneshot,
24 > they are not automatically updated, or are they? (discussion).
25 >
26 > 'emerge -uDNv world' is the most common form of update, probably, used
27 > by gentoo users. So how to best ferret out those oneshot packages for
28 > update; and that's if they should be updated.... semantics on that?
31 I think you two have it backwards.
32
33 The intended workflow is that if you emerge something, you know what it
34 is, you don't have to make further decisions about it and you want it in
35 world.
36
37 @world, by definition, is the list of packages you want. That plus
38 @system plus all deps constitutes the set of what should be on the
39 system, anything you have not in that set is subject to depcleaning
40
41 If you are not sure about some package, by all means emerge it with -1.
42 Check it out, verify it, make sure it does what you want then get it in
43 world with emerge -n. Why would you want to have stuff around for
44 extended periods that is not in world?
45
46 If you have a package that you no longer want (as you know what is in
47 your world right), unmerge it with -C
48
49 Don't make life difficult for yourself. It's MUCH easier to know what's
50 in world than to try and remember what should be and isn't.
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com