From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:55:59
1 Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I usually remember --oneshot but if I'm tired or distracted I
5 > > forget it.
8 > To avoid this, I added it to my make.conf. When I *really* want to have
9 > something in the world file, I can either add it myself or use --select
10 > on the command line to add it. Result, shouldn't be anything in the
11 > world file that shouldn't be there.
12
13 OK, I'll try this.
14 I'll add --oneshot to the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= in make.conf.
15
16 Works great.
17
18 > I sometimes wonder why that isn't the default way. I guess because it
19 > would confuse folks for a bit and because it has always been that way.
20
21 One thing I see, is now you have a system that is full of pkg that do
22 not update normally. I guess I'm say if you install pakages with --oneshot,
23 they are not automatically updated, or are they? (discussion).
24
25 'emerge -uDNv world' is the most common form of update, probably, used
26 by gentoo users. So how to best ferret out those oneshot packages for
27 update; and that's if they should be updated.... semantics on that?
30 James