From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:59:35
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 09/20/2015 11:07 AM, James wrote:
3 >> Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >>> For boost and ffmpeg, try running `equery depends <package>` and if no
7 >>> result comes back it wasn't installed from a dependency. If it does say
8 >>> another package is pulling it in, remove it from the world file by
9 >>> using: `emerge --deselect <package>` - in the case of boost it would be
10 >>> `emerge --deselect dev-libs/boost`.
11 >> Yea, many of us forget the --oneshot option whilst admining about.....
12 >>
13 > Yep, in my case I did it about 25 times over many years. Eventually
14 > you'll get enough crap in the world file that portage has a hard time
15 > updating. I usually remember --oneshot but if I'm tired or distracted I
16 > forget it. :-)
17 >
18 > Dan
24 To avoid this, I added it to my make.conf. When I *really* want to have
25 something in the world file, I can either add it myself or use --select
26 on the command line to add it. Result, shouldn't be anything in the
27 world file that shouldn't be there.
28
29 I sometimes wonder why that isn't the default way. I guess because it
30 would confuse folks for a bit and because it has always been that way. ;-)
31
32 Dale
33