From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fc-cache
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:30:53
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> [09-08-27 20:28]:
2 >
3 > On 25 Aug 2009, at 23:26, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >...
5 > >I use Icewm and X.org as desktop environment.
6 > >
7 > >Ending my work with a command like
8 > >
9 > > sudo halt
10 > >
11 > >from a terminal window results in no problem at all.
12 > >
13 > >But:
14 > >
15 > >When I do something like:
16 > >
17 > > aunpack mysourceproject.tar.7z; cd mysourceproject; \
18 > > ./configure && make && make install; sudo halt
19 > >
20 > >switch off my monitor and go to sleep, cause this will run for an
21 > >hour, and start my box next morning again, all fonts, which are
22 > >defined via xorg.conf are displayed in a very tine shape.
23 >
24 > Um.... sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the `sudo halt`
25 > actually run? Here that would be sitting waiting for me to enter a
26 > password (but your /etc/sudoers may be configured differently).
27 >
28 > Stroller.
32 Hi
33
34 There are no dumb questions, Stroller, there are only dumb answers...
35 :)
36
37 You can configure /etc/sudoers to accept "sudo" without password and
38 execute a certain command via sudo with root rights or others.
39
40 On machines used by many users and or directly connected to a backbone
41 this may or is a security hole.
42
43 On my machine I am alone and sudoers is setup only to accept
44 passwordless "sudos" from me (my username)
45
46 The according line looks like this:
47 <my username> ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
48
49 Which means: accept any command without password compined with sudo.
50
51 This may or may not a discussable setting, though...
52
53 On the other side: A person who is able to crack my router and gain root
54 rights on my machine will not be stopped by sudoers-settings.
55 And the possibility to be able to crack a password is based on the
56 knowledge/tools to the attacker and the password but is not based
57 on the kind of user who owns it, whether it is a root password or
58 a users password does not matter...
59
60 Only my to photons...your light might be brighter... :o)
61
62 HTH!
63 Have a nice <time of day you currently have> ;)
64 Keep hacking!
65 mcc
71 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
72 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
73 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
74 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.