From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: compiling seamonkey
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:10:10
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >> You can compile Seamonkey with the old version but it COULD cause
7 >> problems with the libraries it depends on. It may work fine tho. It is
8 >> worth a try. Just select the old compiler and re-emerge seamonkey.
11 > Done
12 > Seamonkey works now.
15 >> Also worth noting, I to tried the new gcc and ran into a lot of
16 >> problems. Not all of them were Seamonkey but it gave me problems as
17 >> well. Another person had trouble with mythtv. You are not alone here.
20 > OK, so I'll file a bug report, on gcc-4.3.2.
23 > A runtine update (not certain when) changed gcc to 4.3.2.
24 > So Should I recompile everything? Discover what get compiled
25 > with 4.3.2 and recompile it (how?) ?
26 >
27 > Or just leave it like it is, som 4.3.2 and some 4.1.2 binaries
28 > mixed, until the devs figure things out?
31 > guidance?
34 > James
39 Well, I had so many problems with other things that I went back to
40 gcc-4.1 and did a emerge -e world. There was a lot of buggy and weird
41 things going on and I wanted to be stable. I couldn't compile a kernel
42 with gcc 4.3. Seamonkey would crash a lot. There were other things but
43 my memory is not like a elephant.
44
45 If everything is working fine, I would leave it like it is. Just keep
46 in mind that it is compiled with the old gcc in case something funny
47 starts to happen.
48
49 Glad that you are running again tho.
50