From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: tools currently available for update of etc files after updates
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:04:29
1 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > Am Sonntag, 16. November 2008 00:05:56 schrieb Harry Putnam:
4 >
5 >> I did try `cfg-update' but I thought it was really slow.
6 >
7 > Slow? For me it's blazingly fast.
10 Just to install it requires 3 pkgs to be installed:
11
12 Just to install, it wants three packages unless I USE="-kde" (in my
13 case).
14
15 And even then it still cries about xxdiff. Looking at the other
16 possible editors in /etc/cfg-update.conf... I don't have a single one
17 of them installed... so still more install is required.
18
19 Using xxdiff is pretty clunky and slow I thought. I would not
20 describe it as blazingly fast.
21
22 It may be possible to customize to the point where its faster but it
23 would take some doing.
24
25 Or maybe just by experience in using the tool it would get handier
26 and faster....
27
28 I've not encountered a single conf file where a 3 screen merge was
29 required to get it right.
30
31 But as I mentioned, my conf files are probably way less complicated
32 than a power users.