From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tools currently available for update of etc files after updates
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:06:05
1 Am Sonntag, 16. November 2008 19:04:02 schrieb Harry Putnam:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> writes:
3 > > Am Sonntag, 16. November 2008 00:05:56 schrieb Harry Putnam:
4 > >> I did try `cfg-update' but I thought it was really slow.
5 > >
6 > > Slow? For me it's blazingly fast.
7 >
8 > Just to install it requires 3 pkgs to be installed:
9
10 What has this to do with how fast it runs?
11
12 > Just to install, it wants three packages unless I USE="-kde" (in my
13 > case).
14
15 Yes, so what?
16
17 > And even then it still cries about xxdiff.
18
19 That's what its author chose as the default. You could file a bug report.
20
21 > Looking at the other
22 > possible editors in /etc/cfg-update.conf... I don't have a single one
23 > of them installed... so still more install is required.
24
25 Ahem, you don't have vim or diff installed?
26
27 > Using xxdiff is pretty clunky and slow I thought. I would not
28 > describe it as blazingly fast.
29
30 You were not talking about xxdiff, you wrote that cfg-update was slow.
31
32 > It may be possible to customize to the point where its faster but it
33 > would take some doing.
34
35 What exactly are you talking about, cfg-update or the diff tool you told it to
36 use?
37
38 > Or maybe just by experience in using the tool it would get handier
39 > and faster....
40
41 Just doing the automatic stuff, where no user intervention is involved _is_
42 blazingly fast. How fast you are in running the diff/merge tool of _your_
43 choice is, well, up to you.
44
45 > I've not encountered a single conf file where a 3 screen merge was
46 > required to get it right.
47
48 I already have. But it's a rare case.
49
50 Bye...
51
52 Dirk