From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: tools currently available for update of etc files after updates
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:19:13
1 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> writes:
2
3 >> Or maybe just by experience in using the tool it would get handier
4 >> and faster....
5 >
6 > Just doing the automatic stuff, where no user intervention is involved _is_
7 > blazingly fast. How fast you are in running the diff/merge tool of _your_
8 > choice is, well, up to you.
9
10 Maybe, but as you know it defaults to xxdiff. That of course is not
11 to say it cannot be changed but by default the merge tool is slow and
12 clunky.
13
14 >> Using xxdiff is pretty clunky and slow I thought. I would not
15 >> describe it as blazingly fast.
16
17 > You were not talking about xxdiff, you wrote that cfg-update was slow.
18
19 You seem to imply that cfg-update is independent of a diff tool. It
20 does not appear to be able to merge anything on its own.
21
22 So to speak of cfg-update minus a diff tool as fast/slow seems a
23 little off the mark.
24
25 I suspect you are a much more accomplished user than I am so I'll
26 defer to your judgement...
27
28 I'm curious about the backup setup. Have you had occasion to go
29 back into the database to pull out an old config? And if so I
30 wondered if that part worked to your liking?
31
32 It might allow me to quit putting all my configs under cvs control.
33 That can get to be a bit of a hassle at times..