From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:57:45
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 17:59, Joe Menola <menola@×××××××××.net>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u
3 world''?':
4 > On Wednesday 27 September 2006 5:10 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > That's not the same as -5ing everything, which is what I was referring
6 > > to and the easy way to toast /etc/fstab.
7 >
8 > Can you give an example of *any* situation that would make updating
9 > fstab sensible?
10
11 No, which is why shipping /etc/fstab as part of baselayout should go away.
12 Surely there's a solution that provides examples for new user/installs,
13 but doesn't bug me to update a file that upstream cannot possibly know
14 good contents for.
15
16 > Important etc files should be placed in .example form and the user
17 > warned that editting is required.
18
19 Yeah, but imagine if every configuration file has a .example? I don't want
20 a bunch of unused files cluttering my filesystem. (I guess I could
21 INSTALL_MASK them if there was a naming policy.)
22
23 > Etc-update has always been the thorn in Gentoo.
24
25 Which is why I use dispatch-conf. ;)
28 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
29 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
30 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
31 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh