From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xen vs Citrix XenServer
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:17:15
1 On 2012-01-01 18:40, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Thanks for your response Michael...
3 >
4 > On 2012-01-01 11:51 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
6 >> While I haven't played with XenServer, I have played with its
7 >> open-source clone, XCP, and was very annoyed by it. I'd rather run a
8 >> Gentoo dom0.
9 >
10 > I just thought that running a bare metal hyperviser would be more
11 > stable/reliable, and running it on a thumb drive would be much more
12 > convenient.
13 With Xen (or XenServer) the hypervisor always runs on bare metal, and
14 the domain-0 and its kernel is a special kind of a virtual machine (it
15 has virtual RAM and virtual CPUs as any other Xen domain, but
16 additionally full hardware access especially to all PCI devices and ACPI
17 / sensors etc.). Separating it on a thumb drive will not change a lot,
18 the hypervisor gets loaded into RAM any way and does not require any
19 disk access. However, the domain-0 operating system will usually use a
20 disk (but could also be run by NFS root file system or anything else).
21 >
22 >>> First - I want to use a bare metal hypervisor that supports the
23 >>> following:
24 >>>
25 >>> 1. Can be installed on a USB FLASH drive (I have some Dell
26 >>> Poweredge 2970 servers with the internal USB slot for just this
27 >>> purpose), and
28 >
29 >> I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this, but I don't see why
30 >> it'd be a problem.
31 >
32 > Definitely not a problem for XenServer (although v6 isn't officially
33 > supported on a thumb drive yet), so I was mainly wondering about Xen
34 > itself...
35 >
36 >>> 2. Fully supports both Windows Server 2008 (our Domain Controller),
37 >>> and Gentoo Linux (our mail and web servers).
38 >
39 >> The xen supports hvm, where it emulates hardware; in a full hvm VM,
40 >> *any* operating system comfortable on x86 should run.
41 >>
42 >> There's also paravirtualization, which is faster, and is likely what
43 >> you're thinking of wrt 'bare metal'. Signed drivers for paravirt
44 >> mode for hardware (such as your network, disk or system clock) are
45 >> available for current versions of Windows.
46 >
47 > Yes, PV is what I was thinking of, thanks - and apparently this
48 > wouldn't be a problem with gentoo either?
49 I'm using a Gentoo domain-0 and domU systems productive for more than 2
50 years now. I have never used a virtual machine with Windows Server
51 running, but it's fully supported by both, open-source Xen and XenServer.
52 >
53 >>> I can't seem to find an ebuild for the xenserver tools, and when
54 >>> looking found out about Xen (I had thought that it went away a long
55 >>> time ago)...
56 >
57 >> * app-emulation/xen-tools
58 >> Available versions: 3.4.2-r3 ~3.4.2-r5 ~4.1.1-r5 4.1.1-r6
59 >> ~4.1.2-r2!t {acm api custom-cflags debug doc flask hvm pygrub qemu
60 >> screen xend}
61 >> Homepage: http://xen.org/
64 > Hmm... so will these tools work with XenServer? Or are they just for Xen?
65 >
66 > Also, I ran across an article on the gentoo wiki that said that the VM
67 > images for Xen and XenServer are NOT compatible, which I find odd if
68 > XenServer is just Xen with some additional tools provided by Citrix.
69 >
70 > The article also said that the single biggest advantage of XenServer
71 > is the amount of time required to get something up and running -
72 > minutes for XenServer, compared to days for Xen - is this dated info,
73 > or still true?
74 I don't know about the setup of XenServer, but it should be rather
75 straightforward. XCP is also meant to be a quick way to setup Xen just
76 as VMWare ESXi or something similar. Setting up Xen in a Gentoo domain-0
77 is much more work for sure, but (as always with Gentoo) gives you lots
78 of possibilities for customization.
79 >
80 >> * sec-policy/selinux-xen
81 >> Available versions: [M]2.20110726
82 >> Homepage:
83 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/
86 >> * sys-kernel/xen-sources
87 >> Available versions:
88 >> (2.6.18-r12) 2.6.18-r12!b!s
89 >> (2.6.34-r3) ~2.6.34-r3!b!s
90 >> (2.6.34-r4) ~2.6.34-r4!b!s
91 >> (2.6.38) ~2.6.38!b!s
92 >> {build deblob symlink}
93 >> Homepage: http://xen.org/
95 >> run under Xen
96 >
97 > I though that xen-sources were no longer needed as of kernel 2.6.33+?
98 2.6.37+, but the first *really* usable kernel is 3.1, because earlier
99 ones didn't have blockback support (virtual disks), up to 3.0, and 3.0
100 had a serious bug with VGA output. In addition, there may be performance
101 problems with those kernels in some applications (but I didn't
102 experience any yet).
103 >
104 > Thanks again Michael,
105 >