From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to make emerge skirt a package built from tar.gz
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:51:47
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 >Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>emerge --inject 'app-foo/bar-1.2.3'
8 >>
9 >>Sounds like that's what you're thinking of.
10 >>--
14 >That may be a way to do it. It isn't what I was thinking of though.
15 >I've never heard of this and man emerges has almost nothing to say
16 >about it. And `man inject' doesn't now about it at all.
17 >
18 >The man page makes a brief comment:
19 >
20 >[ebuild U-] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0 [4.2.99.902]
21 > The - represents lack of SLOT information about Xfree. This
22 > will occur when the previous version emerged was injected (see
23 > inject for more info) or very outdated (so old that SLOT did not
24 > exist). Either way, a newer version of Xfree is availabe for
25 > your updating delight.
26 >
27 >But fails to mention where one can `see inject'. That is the only
28 >occurance of `inject' in man emerge.
29 >
30 >I think is was something entered in /etc/portag/package.SOMETHING
34 I think emerge --inject is being deprecated, but I can't remember any
35 sort of alternative. What the command does is tell Portage to think a
36 package is installed, regardless of whether or not it is. I believe its
37 purpose is/was to allow developers to muck around with patches and
38 uber-unstable builds (e.g. CVS snapshots) without having to learn
39 ebuild-ing in order to satisfy dependencies on other packages.
40
41 Aha! A bit of effort solves everything!
42
43 tarpman@delta ~ $ emerge --inject
44
45 *** --inject has been deprecated.
46 *** If you manage a piece of software yourself, add it's name and
47 *** version (eg foo/bar-1.0) to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided.
48 *** If you want to prevent portage from upgrading a package, add it to
49 *** /etc/portage/package.mask prepending it with '>' (eg >foo/bar-1.0)
50 *** For more information on fine-grained portage control, please see
51 *** the portage man page.
52
53 emerge: root access required.
54 tarpman@delta ~ $
55
56 I have a feeling (Captain Obvious strikes again!) that
57 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided is what you're looking for...
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list