From: "Dương \"Yang\" ヤン Hà Nguyễn" <cmpitg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDEPIM-4.7.3 hits the stable tree ... brrrrr!
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:28:13
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thankfully eselect news spells it out and this link makes me thing twice about
3 > my next steps:
4 >
5 >  http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
6 >
7 > Following Alan's disastrous experience where he saw all his messages disappear
8 > before his eyes I am doubly cautious.
9 >
10 > Has anyone tried the migration to 4.7 yet?
11 >
12 > Only to make things slightly more complicated ... has anyone tried it who's
13 > been using sqlite3 like I do, instead of the recommended MySQL?
14 >
15 > Any gotchas other than backups of everything recommended in the news article?
18 Hi,
19
20 In the KDEPIM full stack, I use only Kopete. Today I upgraded both
21 kdepimlibs and kopete to 4.7.3. After the upgrading, Kwallet did not
22 work properly (it displayed a totally blank window without any
23 "wallets"). I started Kopete and immediately I encountered the error
24 message:
25
26 kopete(xxx) couldn't create slave: Unknown protocol 'file'
27
28 Of course Kopete did not work with Kwallet, so I had to type my
29 password manually. After typing the password, nothing happened in the
30 Kopete window, and the error message I got from the terminal was
31
32 kopete(xxx) couldn't create slave: Unknown protocol 'https'
33
34 At first I thought there are some broken packages, but revdep-rebuild
35 didn't help. I rebuilt kdepimlibs, Kwallet, and Kopete manually with
36 emerge, didn't help either. I read the news (from eselect) again,
37 found the wiki page, followed the direction althought I didn't use
38 KMail or any other piece of software from the KDEPIM stack, it didn't
39 work either. Eventually, I masked the packages (mentioned in the
40 news) and downgraded kdepimlibs and Kopete to 4.6.3, and everything
41 worked again!
42
43 Just to share my short story today. And I think KDEPIM should *not*
44 be marked as stable at the moment.
45
46 Kindest regards,
47 Dương "Yang"
48 --
49 Dương "Yang" ヤン Hà Nguyễn ("Nguyễn Hà Dương" in Vietnamese, 「グエンヤン」 in Japanese)
50 Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/
51 "Life is a hack"
52