From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:56:51
1 Jason Weisberger wrote:
2 >
3 > Couple of things to note:
4 >
5 > The geforce 210 is not even powerful enough to do 1080p blueray
6 > playback. Might want to consider a minor upgrade if you are going to
7 > do anything entertainment-wise on this system.
8 >
9 > Consider doing the ddr 3 system for longevity. If you do end up
10 > getting the ddr 2 motherboard and ram, the AM3 socket 945 x4 will fit
11 > in and run with the AM2+ board, however AM3 and ddr3 are the current
12 > standards and at least the next generation of amd processors should be
13 > backwards compatible with that socket.
14 >
15 > Also, I do slightly disagree with the previous author recommending an
16 > 800 watt psu with the configurations you posted. That wattage should
17 > be recommended for a bleeding edge single gpu system and a bleeding
18 > edge processor. 500-600 should be enough for your needs as long as
19 > it's a quality part.
23 I'll check and see if I can find something better video wise. To be
24 honest tho, I don't play video except for youtube or something like
25 that. By BIG game to play is Kpatience.
26
27 I must admit, I am seriously leaning to the Gigabyte build. It is a bit
28 newer but not to pricey. I have read that DDR3 is faster and we all
29 know that you only need one bottle neck.
30
31 I do assume that the Gigabyte mobo, CPU and ram do match up OK? That is
32 the big thing for me. I used to read Computer Shopper and keep up with
33 the sockets types and such but I haven't done that in a long while. I
34 don't want to order all this and then find out the CPU doesn't fit the
35 mobo or that I can't put that ram in because of the HUGE heatsink. I
36 guess newegg would let me swap something within reason tho.
37
38 Dale
39