From: Jason Weisberger <jbdubbs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:06:48
1 Couple of things to note:
2
3 The geforce 210 is not even powerful enough to do 1080p blueray playback.
4 Might want to consider a minor upgrade if you are going to do anything
5 entertainment-wise on this system.
6
7 Consider doing the ddr 3 system for longevity. If you do end up getting the
8 ddr 2 motherboard and ram, the AM3 socket 945 x4 will fit in and run with
9 the AM2+ board, however AM3 and ddr3 are the current standards and at least
10 the next generation of amd processors should be backwards compatible with
11 that socket.
12
13 Also, I do slightly disagree with the previous author recommending an 800
14 watt psu with the configurations you posted. That wattage should be
15 recommended for a bleeding edge single gpu system and a bleeding edge
16 processor. 500-600 should be enough for your needs as long as it's a
17 quality part.