From: Matti Nykyri <Matti.Nykyri@×××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System date/time goes to GMT when PC wakes from hibernate
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 22:27:15
1 On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 06:13:41PM -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > >
3 > > ...into my /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf. This copies over the BIOS
4 > > time to the kernel system date. It works, but I'd really like to know
5 > > why it's necessary in the first place.
8 > There's an option CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS on the kernel to do it automatically. I
9 > think it uses utc so if you use localtime it may mess it up. This also came up
10 > recently on this list but I can't remember what the problem was so you may
11 > want to look there.
12
13 Don't store hwclock in localtime. It is a hack and you are asking for trouble.
14 Just store it in UTC. That way the worst mishap is that it gets 1 second to
15 a wrong direction if you happen to hit a leap second. With localtime you will
16 always have a change for worse 2 times a year when summer time kicks in.
19 -Matti