From: Brett Freer <brett@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Office web filtering
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:35:41
1 Hi Stroller,
2
3 I have found www.opendns.com to be a really good solution. However, it
4 will be blanket cover for the whole lan and you won't be able to
5 implement the time-based, or the user-based exceptions.
6
7 Kind regards
8
9 Brett Freer
10
11 -----Original Message-----
12 From: Stroller [mailto:stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk]
13 Sent: Sunday, 9 November 2008 4:37 AM
14 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 Subject: [gentoo-user] Office web filtering
16
17 Hi there,
18
19 Anyone got any suggestions regarding web filtering for a small office of
20 a dozen employees?
21
22 I'd assume Squid + Google-it-you-lazy-git, but there are a couple of
23 requirements that make my request a little unusual.
24
25 Firstly, instead of simply blocking pr0n & allowing everything else, the
26 site primarily wants to block Hotmail & Facebook.
27
28 I assume that what this _really means_ is that they want to block
29 everything by default and add a whitelist of work-related sites (it's an
30 estate agent, so http://rightmove.co.uk would be on the whitelist, for
31 instance).
32
33 Secondly, they want to perform the blocking for most of the day, but
34 relax the restrictions between 11am - 11:15am & 1pm - 2pm.
35
36 And thirdly, the bosses want to be excluded from the filtering. One
37 obvious way to do this is filtering by their MAC or IP address - none of
38 the staff are geek enough to get around this but nevertheless it's a bit
39 clumsy & requires maintenance if the boss gets a new laptop.
40
41 So what I'd prefer is really some kind of system that pops up a message
42 "this site cannot be displayed because it is in the filter category
43 [pr0n|frivolous]; if you would like to see it anyway, please enter your
44 username & password". I used to work at a place that displayed a similar
45 message & allowed with a single click a user to submit to the admin
46 websites that had been blacklisted in error; so I am sure something like
47 this is possible, I just don't know if it's available in open-source.
48
49 Thanks in advance,
50
51 Stroller.