From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cloning a directory hierarchy, but not the content
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:00:01
1 Hi there!
2
3 I am currently putting extra backups to old hard drives I do no longer need
4 for other purposes. After that I send the putput out ls -lR and du -m to my
5 log directory so I can check what files are on which drive without having to
6 attach the drive.
7
8 Works, though a better method would be to clone the drive's root directory,
9 but with all file sizes being zero. This way I can easily navigate the
10 directory structure, instead of browsing through the ls-lR file. Is there a
11 utility that does this? It would be even better if the files would be
12 created as sparse files, faking the original size.
13
14 I just wrote a little script that does this, but it does not do the sparse
15 file thing yet, and would have problems with newline in file names. And I
16 guess someone already wrote such a utility?
17
18 Wonko