From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11, $VIDEO_CARDS & binary packages
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:50:13
1 Am Donnerstag, 20. Juli 2006 06:56 schrieb Ryan Tandy:
2 > Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 > > Well, I think I got the conecpt behind meta packages. My question was
4 > > why do I get a different content of the VIDEO_CARDS-variable when I
5 > > specify "-k" in emerge or not???
6 >
7 > You can't change the USE flags a binary package was built with. Binary
8 > packages are built with a certain set of flags, and they're stuck with
9 > that set of flags until you recompile the whole thing.
10 >
11 OK, thats pretty obvious.
12
13 > I'd recommend you emerge --nodeps xorg-x11 in order to change its
14 > USEflags to the ones you want (no compilation necessary), and then
15 > emerge -k to pull in the binary packages depended on by its new flags,
16 > which will save you the compiling time.
17 >
18 > HTH.
19
20 Nope, doesn't work. Same problem. I emerged with --nodeps the xorg-x11
21 package, with exactly the video-cards I want. Then I've tried the -k as you
22 suggested, and still *ALL* other video-drivers are shown in the list, and
23 VIDEO_CARDS did not show the same content as without -k.
24
25 Greetings,
26 Alex
27 --