From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: re-extracting linux sources
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:56:59
1 On 09/26/2009 12:35 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > After my last -uvDN world and subsequent revdep-rebuild and emerge
5 > --depclean I found the main Makefile under /usr/src/linux was missing.
6 > I managed to extract it from the sources and copy it over only to find
7 > that, naturally, many other files were missing too. I gave up after
8 > the third extraction/copy pass. Which leads to the following:
9 >
10 > 1) What is the approved method of re-populating that all-important
11 > directory, just untar the sources back in or ?
12
13 No. You'll miss the patches that don't come in the tarball. To install
14 it again, emerge it again. For example, for gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r7:
15
16 emerge gentoo-sources:2.6.30-r7
17
18 emerge --depclean will never remove it again since you specified that
19 the "2.6.30-r7" slot is always to be kept.
22 > 2)How can I prevent this from happening again?
23
24 By doing what I described above :) It well never be removed unless you do:
25
26 emerge -C gentoo-sources:2.6.30-r7