From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Choice of graphics card
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 10:15:19
1 On Wednesday 02 March 2016 21:44:29 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 02/03/16 13:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > It's approaching time to invest in a new system, and I'd like the
4 > > panel's
5 > > views on which make of graphics card to choose: AMD, nVidia or Radeon. I
6 > > don't want to start a flame war, but which of those would give me the
7 > > best performance in GPU calculations? I have some BOINC projects in
8 > > mind, which apparently are greatly accelerated by using GPUs as well as
9 > > CPUs.
10 > >
11 > > The nouveau driver for nVidia can't do CUDA (GPU) calculations so I'd
12 > > have to use the nVidia driver; I don't know about the others which is
13 > > why I'm asking.
14 > >
15 > > Does anyone here have an opinion to offer?
16 >
17 > If you need 64-bit FP compute, AMD Radeon is your only choice. NVidia
18 > only supports 32-bit FP and cripples 64-bit FP on consumer cards,
19 > rendering them virtually useless; you'd have to buy a "professional"
20 > card (thousands of dollars).
21 >
22 > So you might want to check whether your applications need 64-bit FP or
23 > 32-bit.
24
25 So for flexibility in the future it looks like AMD Firepro or similar. (I
26 assume your comments on Radeon will also apply to Firepro.) I don't know
27 whether these project are 64-bit today, but even if not, they may be in a
28 year or two.
29
30 Thanks Nikos, and to James and Rich too.
31
32 Time to start saving up...
35 Rgds
36 Peter