From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Choice of graphics card
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 19:44:53
1 On 02/03/16 13:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > It's approaching time to invest in a new system, and I'd like the panel's
5 > views on which make of graphics card to choose: AMD, nVidia or Radeon. I
6 > don't want to start a flame war, but which of those would give me the best
7 > performance in GPU calculations? I have some BOINC projects in mind, which
8 > apparently are greatly accelerated by using GPUs as well as CPUs.
9 >
10 > The nouveau driver for nVidia can't do CUDA (GPU) calculations so I'd have
11 > to use the nVidia driver; I don't know about the others which is why I'm
12 > asking.
13 >
14 > Does anyone here have an opinion to offer?
15
16 If you need 64-bit FP compute, AMD Radeon is your only choice. NVidia
17 only supports 32-bit FP and cripples 64-bit FP on consumer cards,
18 rendering them virtually useless; you'd have to buy a "professional"
19 card (thousands of dollars).
20
21 So you might want to check whether your applications need 64-bit FP or
22 32-bit.