From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swap usage creeping up
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:43:44
1 Fatih Tümen wrote:
2 > Okay I am getting suspicious of tuxonice. Setting swappiness to zero
3 > does not mean kernel wont use any swap but it should not be prefering
4 > swap over ram when 2G of ram is out there either.
5 >
6 > Just out of curiosity, can you find out which app(s) being swapped ?
7 >
8 > I would give a try to gentoo-sources and see if the issue can be reproduced.
12 I agree. If swappiness is set to 0, it should not use swap unless it is
13 to prevent the system from crashing. I set mine to 30 and I have 2Gbs
14 of ram. The only time it uses any swap at all is when I am compiling
15 OOo or maybe, just maybe, gcc. Other than that, it is using pretty much
16 all the ram because I have a couple hundred picture files open or
17 something. It is rare that I use swap even with it set to 30. I can't
18 see much of any reason it should when set at 0 except to prevent crashing.
19
20 There seems to be something fishy on the OP's system. I'm not sure what
21 but it is not working as it should. I use gentoo-sources here. 2.6.35
22 at the moment.
23
24 Dale
25