From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no shell permission denied?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:40:11
1 Oh, by the way, I'm leaving for about 2-3 days, so I'll be replying back then.
2
3 On 3/20/06, Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Hi everyone,
5 >
6 > I just re-installed my system because all of a sudden I started
7 > getting the following...
8 >
9 > [15:44 root@livecd /] # su - trenta
10 > Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied
11 >
12 > In addition, I am also unable to login from the console, or X. I get
13 > "no shell: Permission Denied"
14 >
15 > I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting a trojan somehow, because I'm
16 > getting this on two gentoo boxes.
17 >
18 > The last time this happened, it was shortly after loading pl2303,
19 > usbserial, or minicom. I know this *NOW* because I just finished
20 > re-installing my system, and decided that I would try the /dev/ttyUSB0
21 > again with minicom, as I got some electronic stuff to play with
22 > recently, which requires RS232 com ports. But, this is only the case
23 > on one system, not both.
24 >
25 > Now I'm a little ticked off because it took me awhile to get my system
26 > up and running, given all the packages I needed to install.
27 >
28 > Keep in mind that I restored my home directory and such, so I know
29 > it's not anything in my profile that could cause this. Also, all
30 > services that try and startup with anything other than root get this
31 > as well.
32 >
33 > Any ideas on what the heck is going on with my gentoo systems? I
34 > don't want to reinstall yet again, only to find I'm having the same
35 > problem.
36 >
37 > I'm thinking there may be a bug in the gentoo portage somewhere that
38 > is causing this, because I'm positive that I haven't changed any
39 > permissions on any files.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list