From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spam - different IP's
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:44:36
1 On 2/5/21 6:57 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Use fail2ban to target active abusers using your logs. (recommended)
3
4 I've had extremely good luck using Fail2Ban in a distributed
5 configuration* such that when one of my servers bans an IP, my other
6 servers also (almost) immediately ban the same IP.
7
8 *I'm using Fail2Ban's (null / reject) "route" option. I have BGP
9 sessions between my servers synchronizing the banned routes.
10
11 > Leverage the cloud with something like:
12 > http://iplists.firehol.org/?ipset=firehol_level1 (loaded to shorewall
13 > with ipset:hash) to preemptively ban via blacklists - recommended.
14 > There are many good blacklists out there - this one is a meta-list
15 > and has fast and responsive updates.
16
17 That's an option.
18
19 I personally have some trouble swallowing the pill that is other
20 people's ban lists. -- It's one thing with adding to a spam score.
21 It's another when IPs are out and out blocked.
22
23 Aside: Make use of Fail2Ban's ignore feature to white list (or ignore
24 problems from) known good IPs.
25
26 > Snort (in IDS mode triggering a fail2ban rule) is a bit heavier
27 > resource-wise but quite useful. Snort in IPS mode is better, but it
28 > can impact throughput. (if you are commercial, consider a licence to
29 > get the latest rules as soon as they are created/needed.)
30
31 Another option in the same vein is to use the IPTables variants of the
32 Snort rules.
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die